I've been a long-term subscriber to IRRODL - and their current issue deals with some great-sounding topics germane to connected learning and discourse. Here are the titles of the papers

Interconnecting networks of practice for professional learning
Julie Mackey, Terry Evans
The challenges to connectivist learning on open online networks: Le...
Rita Kop
Emergent learning and learning ecologies in Web 2.0
Roy Williams, Regina Karousou, Jenny Mackness
EduCamp Colombia: Social networked learning for teacher training
Diego Ernesto Leal Fonseca
Three generations of distance education pedagogy
Terry Anderson, Jon Dron
Connectivism: Its place in theory-informed research and innovation ...
Frances Bell
Frameworks for understanding the nature of interactions, networking...

Grainne Conole, Rebecca Galley, Juliette Culver

Dialogue and connectivism: A new approach to understanding and prom...
Andrew Ravenscroft
Proposing an integrated research framework for connectivism: Utilis...  
Bopelo Boitshwarelo

RRODL? The International Review of Research in Open and Distance Learning. Worth tuning into from time to time.

Tags: Connectivism, IRRODL

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Skip - any man with a classical Mac in the background has to be worth paying attention to!
I think you'll like what George Siemens writes about. He's been a resource for me for several years.  That has led to some interaction. He wrote ablog articleabout the Tutor/Mentor Connection last fall that helped me connect with a group in the UK.

Ian,

OMG... gasp...  you have found a wealth of important resources; I am completely overwhelmed, in awe of all there is to learn...   Thank you so much!!!  Any particular favorite in the bunch?

Aha, Connie,

I just passed the message on! I haven't a favourite, because I haven't read the issue (but see Laura, above.) I do however commend IRRODL as a generally impressive and important source of on-line, distance, and so occassionally social media learning.

The article I decided to read first was: "Three generations of distance education pedagogy" by
Terry Anderson & Jon Dron -
http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/view/890

It reviews three general pedagogical strategies - cognitive-behaviorist, social constructivist, and connectivist pedagogy - with a detailed, highly structured discussion of each one in turn; here's a summary chart: http://www.irrodl.org/index.php/irrodl/article/viewFile/890/1663/7430

Overall, they are arguing for the continuing emergence of new pedagogies, esp. as enabled by new technologies, but the idea is not to shed the old pedagogies (even if we do shed the old technologies, like snail mail) - instead, "high-quality distance education exploits all three generations as determined by the learning content, context, and learning expectations."

At my school we do no evaluation of the online courses except for the standard student evaluation done for all courses (almost useless, and widely ignored by both administration and faculty). This article could provide a really great basis for evaluating online courses, esp. if it took the form of a self-evaluation, where faculty looked to see in what ways their online pedagogy is drawing on these different pedagogies.

Probably the most useful section is on connectivist pedagogy (including many ref. to Siemens of course) - the newest phenomenon, largely enabled by very new technologies. I personally struggle with ways to implement connectivist pedagogy in my teaching exactly because of the assumption which the authors state here: "Connectivist Pedagogy [...] begins with the assumption that learners have access to powerful networks and, as importantly, are literate and confident enough to exploit these networks in completing learning tasks."

I can't say that the article rocked my world, but it is a very thorough reference work!

Ian,

I want to thank you again for this batch of references. I am going through each article, trying to get a handle on what people are calling "connectivism," working on understanding the patterns they've discerned.

It's interesting to see an era being described right as we live it, actually, right as we pioneer our way along in it...

RSS

Fireside Council

Questions, problems, comments? Here is the "Fireside Council" of folks who help Connie with the administration of this site: Anna, IanOr-Tal ,  Ed and Barry. Click on their names to visit their Profile Pages and leave comments for them with your inquiries and ideas! Meanwhile, if you have technical questions or suggestions, Laura will be glad to help.

Fireside Learning

Create Your Badge

#FiresideNing @Twitter

Quick Guide to Fireside

QUICKIE GUIDE to the FIRESIDE:
The Main Tabs are found along the top of every page:
Main: Access the main Fireside page.
Invite: Invite others to join the Fireside.
My Page: Design your own homepage.
People: View Members and Groups.
Forum: Check out the discussions!
Blogs: It's easy to start blogging.
Photos: Upload and share photos.
Videos: Upload and share videos.

Looking for help? Check out the "How-to's and Feature Requests" discussion! Your input is valuable: THANK YOU.

© 2014   Created by Connie Weber.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service