What do the concepts of biology, media literacy, and April Fool's Day have in common? Potentially... quite a bit, in fact. Actually, it seems cephalopods of all sorts have been getting my attention as of late.

Today's lesson in Principles of Biology was essentially: pay attention.

Students were directed to a teacher-led discussion prompt and associated website on the "Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus"- a rare, endangered, and absolutely amazing animal. The only fact not disclosed in the very vague discussion prompt here is the fact that this animal is... not... an animal. It is perfectly false. It is wonderfully false. It is very over-the-top false. Anything beyond a surface skim shows the weakness in the presentation. How well do your students "read?" How well do we discern sources of information? How "media literate" are we? Do you teach these skills in your subject area? Or is this perhaps the exclusive domain of the Communication Arts department?

CLICK HERE for the post and the discussion...

(this one was quite fun!)

Tags: Aprilfool, biology, digitalliteracy, discussion, forum, medialiteracy, online, tree-octopus

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Newest evidence of the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus

Ha! That is fantastic. I love this.
Bringing this post back on April Fool's day! I'm gonna try this on my students.

RSS

Fireside Council

Questions, problems, comments? Here is the "Fireside Council" of folks who help Connie with the administration of this site: Anna, IanOr-Tal ,  Ed and Barry. Click on their names to visit their Profile Pages and leave comments for them with your inquiries and ideas! Meanwhile, if you have technical questions or suggestions, Laura will be glad to help.

Fireside Learning

Create Your Badge

#FiresideNing @Twitter

Quick Guide to Fireside

QUICKIE GUIDE to the FIRESIDE:
The Main Tabs are found along the top of every page:
Main: Access the main Fireside page.
Invite: Invite others to join the Fireside.
My Page: Design your own homepage.
People: View Members and Groups.
Forum: Check out the discussions!
Blogs: It's easy to start blogging.
Photos: Upload and share photos.
Videos: Upload and share videos.

Looking for help? Check out the "How-to's and Feature Requests" discussion! Your input is valuable: THANK YOU.

© 2014   Created by Connie Weber.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service